Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers.
– Charles William Eliot
Reading is a way to broaden your living experience, to travel to a new place, to meet a person from the past or the future, someone like you to empathise with, someone different from you to learn from. So this year I’m focussing on broadening my reading experience as much as possible and thought setting myself a reading challenge would be a fun way to do it. Anyone keen to join me?
I’ve set myself a goal to read 52 books this year (so one book a week) and thought this reading challenge would add to the fun and get me well on my way to achieving my goal.
I’ll work through the list, finding books which match the criteria and post a review after reading.
- A book you own but haven’t read
- A book that was made into a film
- A book recommended by a friend
- A book by an author you haven’t read before
- A book published this year
- A book published the year you were born
- A book originally written in a foreign language
- A book set in a country you’d love to visit
- A book from a genre you don’t usually read
- A book set in the country you were born
- A book of non-fiction
- A memoir or diary
- A book you read so long ago you don’t remember it
- A book with a one word title
- A book that’s won an award
- A book from the 19th century
- A banned book
- The first book in a series
- A graphic novel
- A debut novel
Anyone want to join me on this reading challenge? Have any books you could recommend?